Raw Acai Bowls
I’ve been impressed by the Acai Bowls that have appeared in the local cafes over here in Brisbane
… and my whole family love them (which is always a win/win situation 🙂 ).
Here’s my version of a simple raw Acai bowl that I make at home.
This recipe will make 4 bowls.
I make ours in a Thermomix, but a high speed blender like a Vitamix will do just as well.
- 2 packets frozen unsweetened Acai Berries
- 5-6 medium-large frozen Bananas (I freeze mine in 1/4 to 1/3 sizes before freezing so as not to break the blender)
- 1 to 2 Fresh Bananas
- Selection of in-season fruit; such as banana, strawberries, kiwi fruit – Sliced
- Shredded Coconut
- Something Crunchy – like Toasted Nuts or Granola (we use Gluten Free)
- Cacao Nibs and Hemp seeds also make good additions
- Place ‘Crunchy item’ into the base of the bowls.
- Snap the Acai Berry packet in half, then open and add to the Thermomix/Vitamix with the frozen bananas.
- Add the fresh banana(s).
- Blend – I use speed 8 in the Thermomix for approximately 60 to 90 minutes.
- Check the consistency. You are looking for well-blended and thick enough to eat – like a frozen mousse.
- If the Acai berries are still solid in parts – repeat. If the consistency is too icy (like a sorbet), add another fresh banana.
- Once you have the desired consistency, spoon the mixture into the bowls covering the ‘Crunchy Item’.
- Top the bowls with chopped fruit of your choice, shredded coconut, cacao nibs, hemp seeds or any other raw yummy treats that take your fancy.
- Serve immediately in a Sunny Spot and Enjoy
- For a chocolate Acai Bowl, add 1 to 2 heaped Tablespoons Cacao
- Sweeter? Try adding a tablespoon or two of Maple Syrup
- Not a banana fan? Try replacing the frozen banana with frozen Mango
- Use frozen Pink Dragon Fruit and Raspberries instead of Acai (pictured below)